The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Mother of God is one of the largest Orthodox churches in Khabarovsk and the first stone church in the city. The initiator of its construction was a local merchant. The construction work began in 1876. But when the temple was half-built, it turned out that the merchant’s funds are insufficient. So, the project was frozen. And only in 1884 the work continued. As a result, in 1886 a five-domed temple appeared in the city in the classical Russian style with elements of eclecticism.
Later a side-chapel was built to the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Mother of God in honor of Nicholas the Miracle-Worker. This was done for a visit by the future Emperor Nicholas II to the city in 1891. In 1893 the first Governor-General of the Russian Far East Baron Korf found his last refuge in the crypt of the temple. In 1930 the temple was closed, then blown up and dismantled on bricks. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Mother of God was restored only in 2002 according to the new project.