The Church of the Annunciation, built by Moscow architects in 1660, rises on the right bank of the Volga in Tutaev. Initially this temple was crowned with four small drums at the edges and one massive dome in the center. The main shrine of the temple is the miraculous icon of «the Virgin of Don». According to legends in 1771 it saved residents of Borisoglebskaya Sloboda from the cholera epidemic, after which it was decorated with pearl icon plating with precious stones as a token of gratitude.
Soviet times were not the best period for the Church of the Annunciation in Tutaev: in the 30s of the XX century the church survived, but the shrines were transferred to the Resurrection Cathedral. Only in the mid-1990s the restoration of the temple began: a temporary altar was built and the roof was rebuilt. Today the blue dome that crowns the square temple is clearly visible from the river. In 2012 a new iconostasis was installed and since then Sunday and festive services have been held here. Annually on September 1 icon of «the Virgin of Don» is transferred by the sacred procession to the Church of the Annunciation, where the Divine Liturgy is held, after which it is returned to the Resurrection Cathedral.
Now - open
Mon -Sun 07:00-19:00